Going for a good spa day can be a great way to de-stress while rejuvenating your mind, body, and skin. For many, determining whether you should book your treatments at a traditional day spa or a medical spa can lead to a bit of confusion. This article will help to explain some of the key differences and benefits each type of spa experience offers.
What is a Medical Spa?
The International Spa Association defines a medical spa, or medspa, as a facility overseen by a licensed healthcare professional. This professional’s primary purpose is to provide comprehensive medical and wellness care throughout the integration of traditional spa services, treatments, and therapies. A medical spa can provide services not readily available through conventional spa facilities as a result of the on-site licensed medical professional.
Medical spas take a more comprehensive, medically-guided approach to treatments while simultaneously offering the relaxation and wellness attributes found in a day spa setting. They are provided by aestheticians, nurses or physicians with the appropriate training and certifications.
The MedSpa Menu
Think of a medical spa as a specialized hybrid between a day spa and a medical skin care clinic. A medical spa typically focuses on providing medical-grade treatments for correcting a variety of skin conditions. They are less about relaxation and pampering, and more about delivering lasting improvements to the skin.
Popular medical spa treatments include:
- Medical Grade Facials – These treatments can target a variety of different skin ailments including acne, redness, and signs of aging.
- Chemical Peels – Topically applied formulations are applied to the surface of the skin and trigger a controlled shedding of the skin. This treatment accelerates the growth of new and youthful appearing skin cells.
- Microdermabrasion – A physical exfoliation process that removes the outermost layers of the skin.
- Skin Tightening – These non-invasive tightening technologies stimulate collagen production and renewal to tighten and lift skin on the face, neck and chest.
- Microneedling – Microscopic channels through the surface of the skin lead to the formation of new tissue and release the skin’s natural growth factors.
- Laser Treatments – Common laser treatments can address a variety of concerns including wrinkles, loss of collagen, texture issues, discoloration, and tattoo removal.
- Body Contouring – Non-surgical body contouring treatments address stubborn fat without taking invasive measures.
- Botox – Injectable treatments to address and correct fine lines and wrinkles.
- Dermal Fillers – Volumize areas of the face that have hollowed or formed wrinkles due to a loss of collagen.
Day spas focus on relaxation, personal care, and beauty treatments. Services found at a day spa can include massages, facials, mud wraps, waxes, manicures, pedicures, and more. Unlike medical spas, day spas do not offer any medical or cosmetic treatments, such as Botox and laser treatments. Although they employ licensed massage therapists, they do not have medical professionals on staff.
Why You’re More Likely to See Results With a Medical Spa
Medical spa procedures are used to address concerns such as deep acne scarring or wrinkles. Day spas specialize and focus on providing an oasis for clients who want to relax and feel pampered. Medical spas more effectively address stubborn beauty and health concerns, leaving you with results you can see and feel for yourself.
Experience the Medical Spa Difference
Medical spas promote a relaxing atmosphere in a spa-like setting but combine that degree of luxury with clinical medicine. The focus of medical spa services is to offer more comprehensive health and beauty solutions. The medical spa experience includes a consultation with a medical professional prior to any services being performed. Visitors to a medical spa can expect to hear recommendations for medical-grade procedures and treatments and take comfort in knowing those treatments will be performed by a licensed professional.
Call Radiance Skincare & Laser Medspa today to schedule your personalized consultation appointment. You will leave our quiet, tranquil medical spa confident in your treatment decisions.