The neck is so prominent, and the skin on it so delicate. This combination leads to premature aging and lines that make you feel super self-conscious. But you don’t have to resign yourself to a life of scarves and turtlenecks. There are many ways to get tighter neck skin and reduce wrinkles – you just have to find the one that works for your needs.
Before you start a new skincare regimen, it’s always a good idea to check in with a professional. Even if you’re just going to be using home products, getting expert guidance will help you find products that really work and a regimen that fits your skin. Schedule a consultation today to learn more about your options – and scroll down for a few of the best ways to get back a youthful neck.
How to Get Tighter Neck Skin at Home
Remember, some methods are going to be more effective than others – and with tightening tactics like exercises or creams, consistency is everything. These are some of the best ways that you can tend to your neck without professional help and with over-the-counter products:
- Facial exercises or jaw stretches – Many of us are side-sleepers. This might seem like an innocuous practice, but it can actually intensify lines on the neck and chest. Regular facial exercises can help combat these wrinkles and add structure to the jawline. Appropriate exercises range from tilting the head and stretching the neck to extending the lower jaw and working on facial muscles.
- Neck-specific topicals – The right neck cream can help restore flexibility to the skin. Since neck skin is thinner, with fewer oil glands, it’s quicker to become damaged and slower to heal than other areas of skin. Find a neck-specific moisturizer that will help hydrate the skin to achieve tightening and restoration.
- Neck masks – Like a moisturizer, a neck mask will deliver appropriate anti-aging topicals to boost firmness in the skin.
- Protect your neck from sun damage – As always, sun damage is the greatest enemy to health skin. Your neck is regularly exposed to UVA/UVB radiation and we often neglect to apply sunscreen to the area. Make sure you block up before you head out the door – with a production containing SPF 30 or higher.
Professional Options for Neck Tightening
In-office treatments offer more dramatic results for those hoping to tighten neck skin. Schedule a consultation to learn which treatment we might recommend. Some common options for deep neck wrinkles include:
- Botox – While not appropriate for every patient, Botox can achieve wrinkle reduction on the neck. But it’s only right for those who have thick, visible bands of muscle on the neck that are creating a V-shape of loose skin and wrinkles. Otherwise, Botox may not yield ideal results – ask us whether it’s right for you.
- Kybella – Kybella treats fat underneath the chin, not wrinkles on the neck (at least directly). But minimizing a double chin removes some of the source of neck wrinkles. Fat under the chin has a negative impact on the neck, pushing downwards and creating lines. Clearing up a double chin can have positive results on the entire neck area.
- Ultherapy – Ultherapy is the only procedure that is FDA-cleared to lift skin on the neck (without surgery). Ultrasound energy is delivered deep within the skin to stimulate collagen production. Because ultrasound imaging is involved, providers can view the skin’s layers and target areas that need the most support. Without downtime, and without incisions, patients find Ultherapy to be a straightforward option that they can fit into even busy schedules.