Sagging skin may be the most frustrating component of aging. Loose skin on the face and body creates wrinkles, and causes sagging around your features, leaving you looking tired, unhappy and older than your years. But new treatment options are making skin lifting more accessible – and less surgical.
Radiance Skincare & Laser Medspa is excited to offer PDO threads. This thread lift uses dissolvable sutures implanted in the skin to lift sagging skin without downtime and with minimal discomfort. These sutures can be used on the face, neck and body to lift skin on a personalized basis, for custom results. While PDO threads are new to the U.S. in this application, the same sutures have been used in surgical procedures for decades.
- Instant skin tightening and lifting – no waiting to see results
- Typically no downtime – return to your normal day as soon as your treatment session is complete
- Performed with just local anesthetic, in-office
- Extremely versatile and can be used on areas across the body
- Excellent for the jawline, unlike many other skin tightening options
What are PDO Threads?
PDO threads are PDO (polydioxanone) absorbable sutures. These types of sutures have been used by surgeons for many years. These threads come preloaded in hypodermic needles so that they can be easily implanted in the skin.
PDO threads trigger a healing response within the skin. After the threads have been inserted, the body reacts by creating new collagen in the area. This leads to natural lifting and tightening of the skin, and leaves you looking like the best version of yourself. This type of controlled healing delivers subtle and gradual results.
Reinventing the Thread Lift
“String facelifts” were once popular for skin lifting – but the materials involved were quite different. Today’s PDO sutures dissolve gradually once they are implanted in your skin (they are typically fully absorbed within 4-6 months). The materials have been thoroughly researched and found safe for skin lifting, and are FDA-approved. Thread lift results are predictable and there is a far lower risk of scarring than with outdated string facelifts.
Your PDO Threads Treatment Experience
- Treatment areas are numbed with topical and local anesthetic
- Treatment areas are carefully marked
- Threads are inserted below the skin by means of a small, hollow needle
- Threads lift sagging skin and provide support for repositioned tissues
- Depending on your skin and treatment goals, the appropriate number of sutures will be inserted
- After the procedure, there may be mild swelling or bruising, but this is typically minimal
- Most patients are able to return to normal activities after their appointment, but should avoid strenuous workouts and take over the counter painkillers as needed
- The sutures remain below the skin, stimulating collagen production and lifting your features
- Sutures dissolve gradually over 4-6 months and fresh collagen allows for ongoing results
How Long Do PDO Threads Results Last?
- PDO threads results are immediate, due to the threads lifting skin as they are implanted.
- Initial results will be most noticeable about 1-2 weeks after the procedure, when any swelling and bruising from thread implantation has cleared.
- Collagen will be produced in the treatment area over the next few months, prolonging lifting past the life of the threads.
- If you are interested in longer-lasting results after lifting has faded, we will explore a potential thread lift treatment schedule that fits your goals.
- It’s possible to combine PDO threads with other cosmetic procedures as the sutures will dissolve naturally in any case, and will not interfere with other treatments. Many patients appreciate the comprehensive results possible with PDO threads combined with Botox, fillers, laser resurfacing or IPL. This allows them to both lift skin and also improve the appearance of the skin’s surface.
Who is an Ideal Thread Lift Candidate?
The typical thread lift candidate is in their 40’s or 50’s. If you’re beginning to see signs of sagging skin, now is the time to discuss PDO threads in a one-on-one consultation. A member of our expert team will examine your skin, discuss your treatment goals, and recommend the ideal path. This may be PDO threads, another procedure, or a combination of several treatments – no matter the case, we’ll assist you in discovering the journey that is both comfortable and appropriate for your needs. We also offer another thread lift called Silhouette Instalift; we will discuss your candidacy for each lift at your consultation.
PDO threads offer a natural lift that is both subtler and significantly more affordable than more invasive procedures. If you are starting to see drooping skin on the brow, cheeks, jowls or neck, a thread lift could be a good option. That said, PDO threads can be used across the body – so if you’re frustrated with loose skin on the stomach, legs, knees, or arms, let’s discuss your potential for treatment today. Just get in touch.
Thread Lift FAQ
Are PDO thread lifts safe?
PDO thread lifts are FDA-approved and yield predictable, safe results. The materials used in the thread lifts are soluble and dissolve over time. There is a very low risk of scarring or other complications. Results are enhanced by the body’s own natural collagen production for a natural-looking lift. In the unlikely event that the patient develops any complications, the threads can be easily removed.
How long does a PDO thread lift last?
Your results will depend on the specifics of your treatment (placement, number and type of threads; your skin’s aging process). Your provider will discuss what you can expect in the months to come and answer any questions you may have. PDO threads typically last between 4-6 months before dissolving, but enhanced collagen production continues even after they are gone.
How much does a thread lift cost?
Thread lift cost varies depending on a wide range of factors. We offer custom quotes for anyone interested in learning more about treatment – schedule your consultation to learn more. We also offer ongoing promotions and changing monthly offers, so it’s likely that a thread lift promotion will be available soon!
Am I a thread lift candidate?
The typical thread lift candidate is usually in their 40’s or 50’s, with sagging skin on the cheeks and middle of the face and moderate skin laxity. Ideal thread lift patients want to improve this sagging skin without surgery and are interested in noninvasive treatment.
What are PDO threads made of?
PDO threads are PDO (polydioxanone) absorbable sutures. These types of sutures have been used by surgeons for many years. The threads come preloaded in hypodermic needles so that they can be easily implanted in the skin.
Is a thread lift painful?
Your provider will numb the treatment area to ensure your comfort during the procedure. Only local anesthesia is required, and patients can return to regular activities immediately after the procedure. Some patients may experience minor soreness, redness and/or swelling. After the procedure, patients should be careful not to vigorously rub their faces and should avoid sleeping on the sides of the face for at least a week.
Thread lifts are significantly more comfortable than surgical alternatives, due to the noninvasive nature of treatment.
Is a thread lift permanent?
Thread lifts are not permanent – the sutures will dissolve in the months following treatment. But they do offer long-lasting results by stimulating collagen production for some time to come.
Should I get fillers instead of a thread lift?
If you’re unsure which treatment is right for you, schedule a consultation to receive personalized guidance from one of our experienced providers. Fillers may be appropriate for some cosmetic goals. Thread lifts offer more comprehensive changes – longer-term results, enhanced collagen production and lifting of the skin. Fillers add volume to create an impression of lifted skin. Get in touch to learn which might be right for you.